Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Refrigerator Art

This week at my church we started the "not a fan" study. (The idea being we should not be fans of Jesus, mere spectators, but followers of Him-fully committed to serving Christ.) One of the Followers journal exercises is to sing a praise for the LORD. That got me to thinking... about refrigerator art.

You know what I'm talking about don't you? The pictures your kids or grandkids (my case nieces & nephews) draw on construction paper, old notebook pages, torn color books, etc. They usually work really hard on them & are convinced their drawing is the most perfect piece off artwork known to man. These are the pages that are prominently displayed on the refrigerator. Hence the name -refrigerator art.

Our works before the LORD are a lot like that. We build up a set of standards in our head (usually based not on what God expects of us but rather what we think other people do) of what our service to Jesus should be. But to Him the Creator of the universe, the Sovereign Almighty God... it's just refrigerator art. The value is not in the work itself but the heart behind it.

My praise (much like my being) have value because of the worth God places on it, not because of any talent I think I have. I need to remember that the best praise I can give the Lord is found not in a talented song, but a humble heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment